admin

About admin

This author has not yet filled in any details.
So far admin has created 24 blog entries.

17/03/2017 The House of “UP” Part 1

March 17th, 2017|

As a kind of bigger project I want to create a similar effect to the House from “UP”.

For the first stream in this Project I wanted to create balloons floating based on their volume. So I used the measure SOP to get the volume, promote it to Detail as a sum and there you go. The volume of your balloon.

With the volume that gets updated every frame as well as the geo in the DOPnet (settings on the packed RBD) I create a force based on the volume. That way the bigger ones get a higher upforce than the smaller ones.

Afterwards I colored them based on their id and did some SS to get that balloony look. I used a hdri as well as a distant light to light my scene.

Render:

 

 

16/03/2017 Futurama 3D Motion Graphics

March 16th, 2017|

So this is the first blog entry from a stream. Yay!

I was using this amazing breakdown as reference:

 

I wanted to create the effect happening at 1:06

Here is the timelapse of the creation:

 

Render:

 

Also, here is the hip file.

15/02/2017 Custom Hairdeformer Houdini 15

February 15th, 2017|

This is my first Blog post. So here we go. I originally created this file at my time at RISE FX, but recently revisited it, since I wanted to render it in Redshift.


Goal:
Create a curly hair setup with dynamics with couple of features:

  • custom curlyness at all positions of the strand
  • custom thickness
  • custom width of the curls at all positions
  • color from noise of source geometry and strand’s U attribute
  • fast sim time

So let’s get started:
First I created an animated sphere:

Then I created some Fur on it with help of the shelftool.

This is how it looks like inside the Fur obj node:

Inside the “guides_deform” node I create my “OUT_TODOP” null to reference for my siminput.

Simple wiresolver sim with the guides as input:


Now I merge in my Simoutput into the “guide_dynamics” node and set the display flage on my merge (important since later it gets merged in based on the display flage of the geo node).

Then in the “fur” node after the create_fur I do some resampling and creation of attributes.

I wanted the length of the strands to drive the width of the curling of its strand. So I fit the perimeter of strands between the minimum and maximum to have the length of the strands between 0 and 1.

For the final hairstrands I started off with a regular circle node and did some wrangles on it.

Then I used the primuv function to extract P, tangentu, tangentv and N from my Curlinput matching its U attribute to the U attribute from my guides. Then I generate a Matrix from these attributes and apply it later on. I also did some tweaks to the width before applying the matrix. Additionally I transfer back some attributes like whitehair, hairid, guardhair.

Now mostly the color is missing. For the color I wanted to avoid a noise simply created in the shader, since it would just use the rest position, meaning the color would differ along the strand, just from the noise itself. So I created a noise on my sphere, applied it to the startpoints of my strands (where @u==0) and copied the color from these points to the strands according to the hairID. Then I copied my color from the frozen frame to my animated strands. That way it doesn’t have to calculate the pointcloud function each frame.

Finally, this is my vop network of my shader. I am mixing different colors for the changing U attribute of the strand, and the input noise, we just set up.